Getting the most out of Browse
The three sections of the Browse content view are:
By Categories that allows you to browse by type of file, such as your Spreadsheets.
By Sources that lets you drill down into the folder structure of the sources you have cataloged.
Widgets that display files grouped by the specific attributes, as described below.
Widgets are predefined groupings to help you quickly access files:
- Recently Opened - This widget displays items that you’ve interacted with recently. Useful when you’re working with the same set of items day in and day out.
- Duplicates - This widget lists duplicate files. Use this widget to find out how many copies of a file you have and where they are located.
- Large Files - This widget keeps a running list of the largest files on your sources. It’s a great way to find out what is taking up so much space! From there you can delete or move the large items to make room for other files.
- This week in history - This widget resurfaces files from this week in past years.
- This month in history - This widget resurfaces files from this month in past years.
- Celebrate! - This widget lists your photos that are tagged with cake, candle, and/or balloon. It’s a good way to find photos from parties and other celebrations.
Note that Widgets only appear when they have content to display. For example, if you have no duplicate files, the Duplicates widget will not be shown.
Categories show files grouped by file type:
This is a good way to find files when you know their type. For example, if you know that the file you are interested in is a PDF. Best of all, when you drill down into a category you get a view that is optimized for that type of content. This is especially true for the Photo view.
By Sources allows you to browse a snapshot of your sources with the content they had when they were last cataloged. If you have taken the time to organize your files into folders, you can use this view to drill down through the folder structure to find what you are looking for.
Note that the Widgets, By Categories and By Sources groupings provide different views of your files. Every file is in the By Sources grouping, as they must reside in one of your sources. Files are likely to be in one of the By Categories categories, unless they are of a different type, such as application installers. And files may be in one or more widgets, such as a Recently Opened and Large Files.